Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Seeing The Red Again: Part I


I've been reading FanFiction for over a decade now. I've written a few stories, but have never posted them anywhere before now. Here's one I wrote for Law and Order: SVU

(Also posted on Fanfiction.net)

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters nor do I work for the people that do. An idea popped into my head and I let it lead me. I hope you enjoy the journey...

I’ve been scrubbing my hands for an hour. Why won’t the blood come off?
My skin is red. I don’t know if it’s because of the incessant scrubbing or because I’m failing at the task.
It was everywhere. It’s everywhere. I never knew so much blood could come from one person. Applying pressure did nothing to slow its flow. It oozed through my fingers as it left her body for good.
There’s nothing you could do. The knife nicked her jugular. She was a goner the second the blade made contact.
That’s a lie. She wasn’t a goner that second. In fact, it took two minutes for the last of her life to leave her body. Two minutes and thirty six seconds to be exact. For two minutes and thirty six seconds, she laid on that filthy bathroom floor littered with discarded paper towels and who knows what else, surrounded by the blood that was flooding out of her body.
Her skin paled. Her breath shortened. Shallowed. 
For the last two minutes and thirty six seconds of her life, her eyes stared up at me, pleading for me to do something. Anything. Save her.
Her last conscious thought was that I failed her.
I failed.
I failed her. Now, she’s on a slab in the morgue and waiting for someone to claim her. They’ll place her in a box and bury her six feet under, never to be heard from again.
I can’t get her eyes out of my head. The vividness of her cobalt eyes dulled every second her life was flowing out of her. She died with her eyes wide open, knowing what was happening to her and not being able to do a single thing to stop it.
The ultimate victim: couldn’t have fought back even if she tried.
No amount of scrubbing will ever erase that.

No comments:

Post a Comment