Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books About Friendship



This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Books About Friendship

1. Baby-sitters Little Sister series by Ann M. Martin: my first foray into longer books. I read about Karen, Hannie, and Nancy's friendship and the schemes they found themselves in from second grade throughout the rest of elementary school when I was introduced to the....

2. Baby-sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin: by the time I was in the fifth grade, I was too old to read about second graders (in my very matured, aged 11 mind), so I graduate to reading about Karen's stepsister, Kristy and her friends as they created a babysitting business as they meandered through middle school. As you could guess, I read this series throughout my middle school years. 

3. Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber: my mom introduced me to Debbie Macomber's novels a few years back. It turned out to be great for me because it gave me the chance to enjoy some light reading as I was working through my English undergrad program. There are a lot of friendships to choose from, but I like Olivia and Grace's from the Cedar Cove series the best because they are both down to earth and successful career-wise and family-wise.

4. The Hours by Michael Cunningham: I'm guilty in seeing the movie before I read the book, but Clarissa and Richard's years-long devotion to one another was particularly captivating.

5. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf: if I have The Hours on this list, then I have to have the novel that inspired it. Though Clarissa, Sally, and Peter were once close, life got in the way. They are able to reconnect at Clarissa's party, though and optimistic me hopes that they remain close once the story is over. 

6. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: okay, so maybe this novel isn't about friendships, per se...or at all. Still, I think it's a good read and a good reminder about what truly makes someone a friend. Hint, social standing and money: not so much.

7. The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells: Another movie that I saw before I read the book, but the lifelong friendship of Vivi, Teensy, Necie, and Caro was an inspirational and entertaining read.

8. Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts: the friendships that Novalee encounters once she's abandoned in Oklahoma help her get over her boyfriend leaving her and the birth of her daughter, Americus. The assortment of small-town characters bond together as a family to deal with the trials that occur afterwards.

9. Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons: Ellen had one friend for a long period of time: Starletta. Color didn't stand in the way of their friendship and neither did Ellen's chaotic home life and her various moves.

10.  Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert: okay, it's not a novel, but Elizabeth meets many individuals during her year-long journey to Italy, India, and Indonesia, forming a close bond with several people who are either visiting the same places she is or who live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment