Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I've Read So Far This Year

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Books I've Read So Far This Year

**I haven't actually read ten books yet this year (I know, I know. I'm trying to catch up now while I can), but here are the books I've read or listened to so far in order of reading them.

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald,  2. Events That Shaped Our Lives With Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather, and 3. Liberty: A Lake Wobegon Novel by Garrison Keiller: these were the audiobooks that I listened to during my road trip to Memphis and back when I was searching the airwaves for classic country stations (I love listening to classic country on the road for some reason. Not sure why.)

4. The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson, and 5. Harlem Nocturne: Women Artists & Progressive Politics During World War II by Farah Jasmine Griffin: I read both of these books from cover to cover for my Harlem Renaissance class. We were assigned other books and stories as well, but these two novels were the highlight of that class and my year so far. Loved them both and I'm glad I got to read them.

6. Suze Orman's Action Plan: New Rules for New Times, 7. The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom, and 8. The Money Class all by Suze Orman: I've really made it a point to try to get my finances right this year since I'll be adding on the expense of grad school until 2017. I want to make sure I am making the right decisions now that will allow me to stay above water in spite of needing loans and financial aid to help me pay for school. The goal is to learn about everything now, so I can make the best decisions now as well as in the future.  

9. Financial Peace Revisited, and 10. Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey: I'm reading Ramsey's books for the same reason that I read Orman's books. I want to equip myself with the knowledge that I need to not make the bad financial decisions that can cause years of drowning or even bankruptcy. I don't want to struggle forever and learning how to make the right decisions will (hopefully) prevent that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment