Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer


 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer

1. Molly Ivins by Bill Minutaglio and W. Michael Smith: as a Texan and former fan of all-things politics, I used to love reading what Ivins wrote. One year at the Texas Book Festival, they announced that there were working on a book about her life. Now, it's here and it's the first thing I want to read this summer.

2. Everybody's Got Something by Robin Roberts: I've loved Robin Roberts since she was on Sportscenter (always been a huge sports fan), so her memoir is a must-read for me.

3. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green: I'm not a huge bandwagon reader (never have read Harry Potter, Twilight, or Lord Of The Rings for example), but I'll give this a listen since I'll be in the car a lot this summer.

4. The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss: I have to throw in some career-oriented books as well to stay on my path of personal development. I've heard good things about this book from people who I follow or read, so I'll check it out.

5-7. The Ya-Ya Trilogy (Little Altars Everywhere, Ya-Yas in Bloom, and The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood) by Rebecca Wells: I read the last one after seeing the movie, but though I have all three, I've never read the first two. I hope to read them in order now that I have them all.

8. The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger: confession--I never read this book. By senior semester (I graduated high school a semester early) I was through with all things academic, so I never read it. This and The Great Gatsby are the two books from English IV that I put on my to-read list. I listened to the latter on audiobook on my road trip to Memphis, and I'll read or listen to this one before I move there.

9. To Be Young, Gifted, and Black by Lorraine Hansberry: currently reading A Raisin In The Sun again, so once I'm done with that, I'd love to finally crack open the other book that I have written by her.

10. Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates: here's another book whose film adaptation I've seen first, but I'd like to read it all the same before classes start and I go back to reading what's assigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment