Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Blogging Confessions



 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Blogging Confessions

1. My wanting to talk about so much about so many different topics leaves me talking about nothing. Not sure who else feels this way, but after too much of anything, my mind just shuts down completely. Because of that, nothing gets out. Not sure if this has a name or label, but it's been a constant in my life for a few years now.

2. I used to be freakishly on top of things, but now, I'm a huge procrastinator. I guess a consequence of confession #1 leads out to several different areas of my life. If it's not something required of me by a certain time, I find myself pushing it back until the last possible moment instead of getting things ahead of time like I used to. For example, a few years ago, I would have written this post weeks beforehand and saved it. Instead, I'm answering these questions at 9:18 pm. Not a big deal, but something I've really noticed lately.

3. I get most of my "reading" done by listening to audio books. Back in the day, you never found me without a book no matter where I went (school dances, church, band, etc.). Now, I'm more likely to carry my CD player with me and listen away.

4. I've stopped buying books because I'm no good at building furniture and have run out of room on my bookshelves and milk crates...but if I ever find a bookshelf already assembled, my informal book buying freeze will most likely be lifted immediately. 

5. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books...or Lord Of The Rings...or Twilight. Long story short, I seem to have missed out on most of the book trends over the past fifteen years. By the time the first Harry Potter book came out, I was in seventh grade and reading authors like Virginia Woolf and Ernest Hemingway (a different story for a different day). I have, however, read all three books from the Hunger Games series, so I don't feel quite as left out as before. 

6. I only read one required book in high school. Dead serious. Loved reading, but there was something about being told to read something that took all the fun out of it for me. The one book I did read: To Kill A Mockingbird

7. I can't read Shakespeare. Of course, I didn't realize this until my second Shakespeare class in college. I've never been able to catch on with the nuances of such language. It took me more time, but I had to find the modern English translation AND watch each play that was assigned to finally figure out what all was being said. 

8. Speaking of Shakespeare, I once wrote an essay defending Iago (from Othello). Yep. An essay. And I meant it. Long story short, I don't normally gravitate to the same conclusions that others have when reading something. Still, I enjoy hearing other takes on what I've read because it allows me to see the same situation in a different way.

9. I've spent entire Saturdays in bookstores. I know many people have done this, so it's not that big a deal. Still, I always get a thrill out of being able to pick up a new book, find a comfy place to sit, and read the day away. 

10. Depending on the book, I can only listen to certain genres/types of music. Not so much for non-fiction, but with fictional books, what I listen to as I read is dependent on the subject matter. It may sound strange, but I think it's a good thing. If the point is to immerse someone into a fictional world, then the author has succeeded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment