Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Movies









This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Favorite Movies 

Note: this week, it's asking for top ten favorite movies or TV shows. I'll be splitting the post into two, one for each category. Another note or somewhat a caveat: these are since I haven't seen every movie out there yet, here are my top ten movies so far. 

1. The Godfather: Technically, I'm splitting hairs because I love Part I and Part II equally. Perfect writing, cinematography, casting, everything. There's not a single scene out of place or that doesn't belong. They're both masterpieces and cinema at its best. 

2. Breakfast at Tiffany's: granted, not the darkness and carnage as my number 1 selections, but I just love this movie. As far as romantic movies go, I like this one the best. I know the two flawed individuals being able to overcome everything to find love is the plot line of every rom-com, but Breakfast at Tiffany's gave a unique twist to the usual. 

3. Requiem For A Dream: my official introduction to indie movies. One of the best in the genre I think. 

4. Garden State: this movie was it for me and my friends in high school. Saw this movie at least 10 times during my junior and senior years alone. Once again, loved the writing and cinematography. Moreover, I absolutely loved the soundtrack. 

5. The Hours: I actually read the novel and Mrs. Dalloway before seeing the film adaptation. I think the movie is amazing.

6. White Oleander: another one where I read the novel before seeing the film. Absolutely loved the book and though the movie wasn't able to keep the entire story intact, loved the film version as well.

7. Good Will Hunting: though this one came out in '97, I didn't catch it until college when I was really into indie films and movies written by 20/early 30-somethings. Films like this one served and continue to serve as inspiration to me as an aspiring writer. Probably not screenplays, but being able to see something created by someone who is now close to my age gives me hope that one day, I'll do so as well.

8. The Girls' Room: another indie film that I've seen tons of times over the years. I love its simplicity yet its ability to capture a complex story.

9. The Virgin Suicides: another film adaptation of a novel I loved. Love the movie too. Once again, couldn't fit everything in, but what they were able to get in is great.

10. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind: was shocked to see Jim Carrey in a dramatic role since I'd only seen him in comedies before then. Loved the movie and the way it was structured. Very original.   

No comments:

Post a Comment