Monday, September 22, 2014

Musing Mondays: September 22

MusingMondays5



Each week, MizB over at Should Be Reading asks six reading-related topics for bloggers to choose from.

This week's topic: Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).

Last week, I mentioned that most of my reading time has been taken up with reading required books and stories for school. Needless to say, those are the books I recently bought for myself.

Instead, I'll mention some books that I bought one of my cousins for her 14th birthday. One was a book for high schoolers (she's just entering 9th grade...just feels like yesterday, I was holding her as a newborn and hoping she wouldn't pee on me...but that's a different story for a different day) that breaks down what college-bound students should do each year they're in high school. The name escapes me (sorry about that), but I also bought her a book called Fiske Guide To Getting Into The Right College. Along the same line as the last one, it breaks down what needs to be done when concerning standardized testing, applying, and all that jazz. 

I know both are heavy for someone just entering high school, but a lot of our conversations before her birthday were dealing with where she was wanting to go and what she wanted to study. She specifically asked for something along the lines of what I got her (otherwise, she would've gotten the customary gift I give to teens/adults: gift cards, a dinner out, or straight cash homie). 

I do want her to enjoy her high school years and live to the fullest, but with things the way they are now, it's never too soon to focus for the future and prepare now for it. And I have gotten word that she enjoyed both books and has been reading and keeping up with the timeline. All I could ask for. 

Right now, I'm looking forward to one of the longer school breaks. I've promised her a road trip to tour some of the colleges that she's looking out that are closer to where I am than where she is. And as I've learned from someone who promised to take to see each of the Twilight movies if she kept a B average at school, she has a verrrry good memory! 

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Twitter   

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment