Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Authors I've Only Read One Book From But NEED to Read More

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Authors I've Only Read One Book From But NEED to Read More

1. F. Scott Fitzgerald. Technically, I listened to The Great Gatsby on audiobook earlier this year, but I would love to read more stories from Fitzgerald since I'm a huge fan of many things 1920s. It was an interesting mix of the excesses of prosperity and the trauma that WWI caused some of the day's most famous writers to suffer from. How their stories deal with this mixture has always been fascinating to me. 

2. J.D. Salinger: Another technicality. This time, it's because I've only read half of The Catcher In The Rye. So I'd like to read all of that one as well as Franny and Zooey that has been on my shelf for almost a decade. 

3. Lorraine Hansberry: I've read, seen, and heard A Raisin In The Sun, but I would love to read To Be Young, Gifted, and Black (which has also been on my bookshelf for way too long without my finally getting around to reading it)

4. Frances Mayes: I loved Under The Tuscan Sun and recently acquired Every Day In Tuscany. That will most likely be going on my holiday break to-read list.

5. Robin Roberts: I know Everybody's Got Something just came out not too long ago, but I would love to learn more about Robin's time at ESPN. I watched her on Sportscenter when I was younger, so I would love to read about her time in Bristol and how it was like being a pioneer for African American women.

6. John Green: Still mourning over The Fault In Our Stars like the rest of the people who only heard about the novel after hearing that the movie was coming out (which I still haven't seen btw, but may Netflix it when it's released). I found Looking For Alaska at Half Price years ago, but have never read it. Will rectify this soon.

7. Kaye Gibbons: Okay, so I'm cheating with this one since I've read both Ellen Foster books, but still. I'd like to read some non-Ellen books to see if they captivate me the same way Ellen Foster did when I was younger.

8. Janet Fitch: Loved loved loved loved White Oleander as a teen (and now, of course). As of right now, I only have two other titles to choose from, so I may just check out both from the library and read them when I get a chance.

9. Harper Lee: Wishful thinking, I know, but a girl can dream right? If we only get To Kill A Mockingbird, that's more than enough for me. Classic.

10. Dorothy Allison: I read Bastard Out Of Carolina in middle school (I know, I know...was way too young to be reading that. I've heard that many times before). If nothing else, I would love to read Cavedweller after watching the film adaptation starring Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon (yes, for you guys who play Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon: here's another connection!)


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Twitter   

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment