Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Want To Reread

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Books I Want To Reread (or if you don't reread...would reread in an ideal world)

1. Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking: I read this one the summer before my eighth grade year and it really changed the way I saw the world and the information I was learning from others. I had heard of World War II by that time, but hadn't heard what the Japanese had done to the Chinese nor about the lack of help the Chinese received. But I was 13, so there is probably a lot that I didn't comprehend then that I would if I were to re-read it now.

2. J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye: this is one of the books that I was supposed to read in high school but didn't. Except for To Kill a Mockingbird, I didn't read all the way through a single book assigned to me (caveat: the times when I had the choice between five-ten novels on the A.P. summer project list). I've always wanted to read the whole book and I think I have a copy, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
 
3. Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House: just finished reading this one for my Forms of Fiction class and I did not get into it at all. I think the problem was reading it over the course of several days instead of just one or two like the rest of my classmates did. I think if I would have stayed in the story longer, it may have done what it was supposed to do. In spite of that, I found myself relating to Eleanor and that alone makes me want to go back and try to figure out everything so I can see how she and the rest of them had to deal with living at that house. 

4. John Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath: another required book from high school that I didn't read. Can't believe I went from never reading books for English class to becoming an English major...funny how life works sometimes.

5. Rebecca Wells' Ya-Ya series: now that I have all three novels about the Ya-Yas, I want to read them back to back to back instead of the years in between reading Divine Secrets...and Little Altars Everywhere

6. William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury: this one was assigned my senior semester (I graduated high school a semester early...yes, not reading what was required and all), but after my grandpa died, I went a couple of months without doing much of anything. I'm sad to say that I didn't even pick up this book except to move it off my bed. And I was so excited to get my syllabus and see that book on it.

7. Mary Karr's memoirs: At some point, I want to go back and read The Liar's Club, Cherry, and Lit back to back to back. I read the first two in quick succession, but it was years before I read Lit (since it wasn't published until 2008 or 2009 I believe...it was an early Xmas gift that I was supposed to read during my break, but I got so excited I ended up finishing it all before I went home for the holidays in part thanks to a temp job proctoring exams.)

8. Edgar Lee Master's Spoon River Anthology: I can't remember if we were supposed to read the whole book or just sections from it, but either way, I just read sections of it. But I liked what I did read, so it'll be cool to one day read the whole thing.

9. Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin: so in addition to not reading what was required in high school, I got extra special my junior year after seeing that the only things we were reading were this novel and The Crucible. Let's just say that I wasn't happy about that...and it didn't help being the only black kid in the class. No one quite got the fact that I wasn't pleased that the only two black people featured in our readings were both slaves. Though I didn't do anything about it other than not read them...and tank my grade in the process. Think it through, kids, all I'm saying.

10. Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell To Arms: this was another book I read in middle school (while everyone else was reading the first two Harry Potter books...yeah, I've been a tad smidge bit strange since forever). This is one that I would love to read again as an adult.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Twitter   

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment