Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters (example: features minority/religious minority, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC, neurotypical character, LGBTQ etc etc.)

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters (example: features minority/religious minority, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC, neurotypical character, LGBTQ etc etc.)

(not sure if any of these celebrate diversity, but they have it...if that makes any sense)

1 & 2. Obasan and Itsuka by Joy Kogawa: I placed both of these together since they're a pair (Itsuka is Obasan's sequel) and tells the story of a Japanese-Canadian family who is eventually interned during World War II (Obasan) and the aftermath the survivors faced during the redress movement.  

3. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan: this novel tells the story of four first generation Chinese-American women and their immigrant mothers. Really like how it's split into 16 parts (each woman gets two sections) and its vignette style. It was the first time I'd ever read anything in that form and still the best.

4. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg: Flagg has a nice mixture of minorities (Sipsey and family) and socioeconomic diversity in addition to the main relationship of the story between Idgie and Ruth.

5. A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons: there's socioeconomic diversity and classism in this one which leads to tension and heartache, but it's also the way Jack and Ruby meet (Ruby starts working for the Hoover family, who Jack already works for as a tenant farmer) 

6. A Time to Kill by John Grisham: I don't usually go for suspense thrillers (legal or otherwise) but after I saw the movie, I found out it was a book, so I read it and really enjoyed it. Not sure I can say the novel celebrates diversity, but its small-town setting allows for an interesting glimpse into the world of a diverse group of socioeconomic disadvantaged people as well as the relationship between whites and blacks that may have been missing if the story was set in a big city.  

7. The Watcher by James Howe: actually, I can't explain how this one fits into the topic, but this was the first novel I thought of when I read what this week's topic was. Don't know how to explain it without giving away too much, but it's an amazing YA read.

8. How to Make An American Quilt by Whitney Otto: or as I used to call it The Ya-Yas before I read the Ya-Yas. Anna and Marianna are black women living in a majority white town. I love the quilting aspect of it. Though each woman is different and brings her own, unique square to the table so to speak, their commonalities is what brings the quilt together into one cohesive piece. 

9. Until We Meet Again by Michael Korenblit and Kathleen Janger: a true story that takes place during World War II, it's the story of Meyer and Manya and their families as they try to survive the Holocaust. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is one of the best books I've ever read. 

10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston: I added this one to the list because I think it's interesting (both for when it was written as well as present day) how it deals with the socioeconomic groups within the black community. With Janie first marrying a farmer and then a successful businessman, she enjoys a social mobility that most still won't see since the whole where you're born (socioeconomic wise) is most likely where you'll remain still exists for a large portion of the population.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

1 comment:

  1. Their Eyes were watching God is one of my favorite books of all time!! Awesome Post Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete