Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds (love reading, are writers, work at a bookstore, etc.) (inspired by my Top Ten Characters Who Love Words)


1. Scout Finch: I figured with all things Harper Lee being in the news as of late, I'd add Scout to this list since she loved to read (and even got in trouble with her teaching for not reading and writing the way she was being taught)

2. The Jane Austen Book Clubbers: I've seen a lot of book club books lately, but I'm sticking with this one (I know, a lot of differences from the novel to film adaptation, but I caught the movie last weekend, so it's the freshest on my mind out of said book club books) Though my dreams of starting my own Jane Austen book club ended after I read Jane Austen (thank goodness for audiobooks...never would've made it otherwise) I just thought it was cool how bonds between seemingly different people can be made just with one author or one book.

3. Laura Ingalls: Right after my Baby-Sitters Club fascination and right before I started reading The Bell Jar and Mrs. Dalloway for the first time (end of sixth grade and beginning of seventh grade), I fell in absolute love with The Little House on the Prairie. Though the series is labeled as fiction, so much of it comes from Laura's life, like her love of reading. Speaking of, I may need to go back and read these all again. I really did love them when I read them the first time.

4. Some of the Bennet sisters from Pride and Prejudice: After I found the audiobook for Pride and Prejudice, I noticed how much Elizabeth and Mary loved to read. Granted, in the early 1800s, there wasn't a whole lot to do, but some of their sisters (like Lydia) found other ways to occupy their free time. Also, I love the way that Elizabeth loved to write letters.

5. Matilda Wormwood: When I was a kid, I wanted to be Matilda soooooo badly. She's the first character I truly fell in love with since I read Matilda when I was pretty young (I even tried to read Moby Dick when I was eight...didn't end well, but that's a different story for a different day) And the movie was awesome too. I still love watching it whenever it comes on ABC Family. 

6. The characters from The Hours: Laura Brown became enthralled with Mrs. Dalloway. Richard was a poet, Clarissa was an editor (lucky!) and Virginia (a writer) and Leonard owned a press (lucky!!) 

So...I cheated here...for the life of me, I couldn't remember all the books I've read with characters who like to read, but all these TV characters popped into my head, so I went with it: 

7. Lisa Simpson: Confession: before I wanted to be Matilda, I wanted to be Lisa Simpson. I can even play the saxophone (though she's not why I chose to play it. I'm a big fan of swing jazz, but people did wonder why I chose the sax going into sixth grade) Most of my friends didn't like to read, so I always found myself attached to people (fictional or real) who did, and Lisa was one of them. 

8. Daria Morgendorffer: Some of the books I read in middle school came straight from what I saw Daria reading (loved loved loooovvvvveeeedddd that show growing up) A lot of what I didn't read is still on my to-read list (now in its 11th or 12th version)

9. Rory Gilmore: Without exaggeration, 2/3 of the books I own either came directly from what I saw Rory reading on Gilmore Girls or books from authors that she read. I know that she wanted to be next Christiane Amanpour, but she would have had a killer book column. Maybe she did both: became a foreign correspondent AND runs her own book blog. That would be awesome.

10. Jess Mariano: Not my fave choice for Rory's boyfriends, but he was the only one out of three she had during Gilmore Girls' run that liked to read, so that's always endeared me to him. The fact that he eventually becomes a published writer that works for a publisher: icing on the cake.

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment