Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101 (examples: YA fantasy 101, feminist literature 101, magic in YA 101, classic YA lit 101, world-building 101)


I took Literature of the Harlem Renaissance a few semesters back and ever since then, I've been obsessed with learning about the 20s. I think the fact that the Lost Generation (Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc.) and the Renaissance Generation (Hughes, Hurston, etc.) both enjoyed their greatest success in the 20s and early 30s is fascinating for a number of reasons, but the two are rarely taught together as one course.

So if I taught The Converging Literary Movements of Interwar America 101, these ten books would most definitely be on my syllabus:

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson

3. A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

4. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

5. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

6. Quicksand by Nella Larsen

7. Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes

8. The Marne : A Tale of the War by Edith Wharton

9 & 10. The Norton Anthology of African-American Literature and The Norton Anthology of American Literature Volume D for a nice mix of poems, short stories, and plays by other writers from the era.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

6 comments:

  1. That would be a great course to teach and to take! Their Eyes Were Watching God is on my TBR list - one of these days I'll get to it lol
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my dream course to teach once I finally get going. And absolutely check out "Their Eyes..." when you can. It's a great read.

      Delete
  2. thanks for a great list! a very interesting period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. And since I haven't really gotten a chance to read a lot from this era, it's really fascinating to learn more about it.

      Delete
  3. I’ve read a lot of these books. Your class would be awesome!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so (once I'm finally able to teach it, of course)!

      Delete