Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday Musings: Ending My Writing Moratorium


I haven't written anything creative in like forever...kind of strange, of course, considering that I'm in an M.F.A. program studying Creative Writing.

But yeah. I haven't had any writing mo jo (wo jo) in what's felt like forever.

Not all is lost though. I've had so many ideas for new stories as well as new ideas for stories that I've found myself at an impasse with. Still, with everything else going on right now, I feel quite lost without writing.

Besides reading, it's been the activity I've been doing the longest and most consistently. Those who knew me in high school can recall the pairs of shoes and blue jeans that I'd write poems and songs on. Just about every page's margins in my high school spirals has all sorts of writings all over them (another reason why I wonder how on earth I was actually able to graduate from high school). It got me through my darkest days years, and I've always leaned on writing as my way to deal with everything's that going on. 

But at the same time, not writing has been okay. I needed this break and so much good has happened because of it. I started reading a lot more and started reading a lot of things that I normally don't gravitate to. I started working for some different lit journals and I truly feel honored having a chance to make other writers' dreams come true.

The break originally began because I felt myself becoming more and more unhappy about what I was writing. I was writing merely to fulfill the week's assignment's criteria instead of writing something that I felt happy with. I needed to get away from that so I could go back to the basics.

I feel like I'm here now and I'm ready to get started again. Work and work and school will limit my writing binges (at least, during the week. One plus for having a homework moratorium on the weekends), but I'm ready to get some of these new ideas on paper (or Microsoft Word) and start going through and reworking stories that I started on, but eventually got to a point where I didn't know where to go next with it.

My goal is to make sure this doesn't happen again. With two years left in this program, plus another four years in a Ph.D program, I need to be able to write regularly, but I need to be able to write things that I'm proud of regularly. I don't ever want to go through what I have these last few months again. 

But yeah. Writing moratorium is over. And I can't wait to pick up where I left off! 


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here.

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ Instagram LinkedIn Pinterest Twitter  

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment