Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books To Read If You Like This Super Popular Book/Author

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Books To Read If You Like This Super Popular Book/Author

Not gonna lie. It was a little difficult to come up with an idea for this week's list because I'm not used to recommending books to people (so much of what I read is assigned or recommended by others...not used to actually thinking about this sort of thing) 

Then, it came to me: Jane Austen. But what about her because I haven't actually read much of Austen. Then, it came to me again: ten things to see or books to read if you like Jane Austen. And let me know if there are any that I missed. I'm always game for an Austen adaptation.  


1. The 1995 TV miniseries of Pride and Prejudice: it stars Colin Firth (if that's not enough to sell you, then I'm not sure what to do for you) but the BBC produced it and I think it's against British law for people to mess up Austen and Shakespeare, so it's a great way to spend an off day if you love P&P.

2. Karen Joy Fowler's The Jane Austen Book Club: not quite an adaptation straight from an Austen novel, but the characters read all of Austen's books and some of the plots mirror some of the plots that Austen's characters lived through. Love the book and the movie as well.

3. Clueless: it's based on Emma and let's face it, I'm a child of the 90s. I've seen the movie approximately a zillion times (more or less) and I've loved it for twenty years. As a future teacher (someday, somewhere) one of my dreams is to be able to teach a class that would somehow incorporate modern adaptations with the original text. If I get to, these two would most definitely be on the list.

4 & 5. Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary and The Edge of Reason: both books were inspired by P&P (and for those who have seen the movies have probably noticed the inside joke of Bridget loving the P&P adaptation starring Colin Firth when Firth plays Mark Darcy in the films)

6. Katherine Reay's Lizzy and Jane: it's a heavy book, but an interesting read about two sisters who come to realize that they may be more like the Austen sisters than they ever realized.

7. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries: it's a web series that's shot vlog-wise and based off of P&P. If you're looking for modern, look no further.

8. Austenland: again, not really based on one book in particular, but the main character, Jane, loves all things Austen (including the 1995 BBC P&P adaptation starring Colin Firth) and visits a Jane Austen-themed resort in England. 

9 &10. Wishbone's "Pup Fiction" and "Furst Impressions": yes. Wishbone. I loved the heck out of this show growing up and I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. "Pup Fiction" was based off of Northanger Abbey and "Furst Impressions" was based on P&P.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

15 comments:

  1. Great theme for a list :) A friend of mine just recommended The Lizzie Bennett Diaries to me, and I ended up coming across a book based off of it that I think I might read first. Have you read it? I think it's called the Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennett. There is a sequel called the Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennett coming out today, too!

    Also, Jemima Rooper, who is absolutely fantastic, starred in a show called Lost in Austen. She played a girl obsessed with Jane Austen who gets transported into the world of Pride and Prejudice.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read those one yet, but I'm adding both books to my to-read list.

      Delete
  2. yay! I went with Jane Austen this week too!!! We share Lizzy & Jane :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Took me a minute to figure out what I wanted to focus, but the second I thought about Jane, it was all good.

      Delete
  3. I'd completely forgotten about Wishbone! Going to have to youtube some old episodes now, haha. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wishbone was my jam growing up and since I have younger cousins, I've gotten the chance to fall back in love with the show over the past few years.

      Delete
  4. The LBD are hilarious! And I also loved Wishbone as a kid. It was one of my favorite shows. I just had to comment because this is the first time I've seen anyone bring it up on one of their TTT's.
    Nice list :)

    Mine, if you're interested: http://rlhendrian.blogspot.com/2015/09/ttt-top-10-books-you-should-read-if-you.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LBD was my introduction to web series, so it holds a very special place in my heart. It doesn't get enough credit for its innovation.

      Delete
  5. Lizzy and Jane is a great story, though I think I like Katherine Reay's other two novels better.
    Wishbone.... I haven't thought of that show in ages!
    My list: http://amandanicolle.blogspot.com/2015/09/take-ten_28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reay's other novels are on my to-read list...but it's a pretty long list at this point, so I may not get to them for a while, but if you they're better I may have to bump them up some and read them sooner.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I love all things Jane Austen. Great list :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I loved Wishbone so much too!! I actually have a post drafted about my love for that show ;) Great suggestions here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you publish that post, please let me know. I'd love to read it! We Wishbone fans gotta stick together :)

      Delete