Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

1. Franklin Swift from Disappearing Acts: I cheated and saw the movie before reading the book because it was the first book I had to read last semester and I wasn't sure I'd have time to get the book and read. I didn't get the full effect of how much he'd been sanitized for the movie until reading the book. But yeah. It took awhile for his true colors to emerge, but Book Franklin wasn't a good guy at all. I guess I have to take it with a grain of salt since he's in a Terry McMillan book there are some notoriously bad dudes in her book, but I really didn't like him from around the middle of the book on.

2. Lady Catherine de Bourgh from Pride and Prejudice: there were a few people I didn't like in this book, but she stands out for all the wrong reasons. I don't quite so much mind the meddling (kind of a necessity in romance novels, right?) but she just rubbed me the wrong way throughout.

3. Othello from Othello: so in undergrad, I wrote a paper called "In Defense of Iago" I get that I have my own ways that were set by the time I read the play, but I couldn't get past them to sympathize with Othello. At all. I get Iago was a bad dude, but Othello was a grown man who could've ignored his meddling and instigating. He chose not to. And then chose not to accept the consequences for his actions. Yeah. Not a fan. 

4. Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby: I loved the book, but I just didn't like her. I found myself kind of tuning out when she spoke (I listened to the audiobook) after awhile. Can't name a reason in particular. I just wasn't feeling her.

5. Bob Ewell from To Kill A Mockingbird: this one is kind of a no-brainer. The man was a horrible person and ultimately the cause of the trial. I know Mayella lied and accused Tom of a crime he didn't commit, but she was terrified of her father. 

6. Mary Katherine Bowman Abbott from Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: I suppose this isn't fair since I haven't read Little Altars Everywhere and Ya-Yas in Bloom yet and therefore don't really know enough about Vivi's mother to really know her. I may change my mind once I read the two prequels, but for now, I don't really like Mary Katherine.

7. Roberto from The Dirty Girls Social Club: There aren't a whole lot of abusive husbands that I'm going to click with. I can unfortunately list a lot of characters that would fit this bill, but TDGSC was a recent read, so Roberto was the first character that came to mind.

8. Winter Santiaga from The Coldest Winter Ever: Is it bad that I didn't click with a teen? Because I just didn't click with her. It doesn't help that she's the main and title character of the novel. Since I wasn't a big fan of her, it was hard to get through the story.

9. Louis from Angels in America: I think Angels in America may be one of the best plays ever written, but I couldn't stand Louis and his flightiness. I can't say I'd know what I'd do in his shoes, but I really didn't like him. At all. Which is bad since he was one of the major characters; thankfully everyone else was dynamic and interesting (yes, even Ray Cohn (don't get me wrong: I didn't like him either) and his crazy self.)

10. The townsfolk from The Scarlet Letter: I know I know. Different times have different moral standards, but man, these guys took the proverbial cake with how they treated Hester after she gave birth to Pearl.

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

4 comments:

  1. Your No. 2. Yes, so much yes. I wanted her to just die everytime she opened her mouth. Great list :)

    My TTT http://wp.me/p3ftwe-Jy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand her. I know it has to be someone's job to tear a couple apart, but man...she was just too much.

      Delete
  2. I've seen Daisy pop up a lot today. I've never Gatsby (i know, i know) so I have no opinion but it seems like nobody really liked her ll My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. Daisy really wasn't that cool of a person (the book is great though. You should totally read it when you get a chance)

      Delete