Wednesday, September 23, 2015

WWW Wednesday: September 23


IMG_1384-0
 
Each week, Sam over at Taking on a World of Words asks the following three questions: 
What are you currently reading? 
What did you recently finish reading? 
What do you think you’ll read next?

What are you currently reading?

  • African American Literature 1850-1900: Elizabeth Keckley's Behind the Scenes, or, Thirty years a Slave, and Four Years in the White House
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: The Autobiography of LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka section of The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 5-7 of Michael K. Honey's Southern Labor and Black Civil Rights
  • Women and Social Movements: Patricia Schechter's Ida B. Wells-Barnett and American Reform, 1880-1930

Pleasure/Other Reads: 
Since I was able to find Lila in audiobook version, I decided to listen to Marilynne Robinson's Gilead first since it's been close to a year since I read it. Wanted to jog my memory because I know I was having trouble remember what was happening when I tried to read Lila before this summer's busyness got the best of me. 

What did you recently finish reading?

  • African American Literature 1850-1900: A Narrative on the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs' Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. (we had two weeks to read and work on our discussion posts)
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: The Dutchman section of The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 1-4 of Michael K. Honey's Southern Labor and Black Civil Rights
  • Women and Social Movements: Faye E. Dudden's Fighting Chance: The Struggle over Woman Suffrage and Black Suffrage in Reconstruction America
Pleasure/Other Reads: 
Piper Kerman's Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison and Debbie Macomber's Love Letters (finally got to that one!!! Never thought I'd get it off my to-read list!)

I also made an itty bitty dent when it comes to submissions, but it's a never-ending cycle. Working on my schedule now so I'll be able to read more of them, but the next couple of weeks are going to be school-intensive.  


What do you think you’ll read next?

  • African American Literature 1850-1900: W.E.B. Du Bois's The Souls of Black Folk 
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: essays from The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 8-9 of Michael K. Honey's Southern Labor and Black Civil Rights
  • Women and Social Movements: Kim E. Nielsen's Un-American Womanhood: Antiradicalism, Antifeminism, and the First Red Scare

Pleasure/Other Reads:
   
More prose and poetry submissions and The Godfather is still on the list if Lila doesn't become available soon (it's currently on hold as I wait for someone to turn it in). Also, I'll be reading both of Cormac McCarthy's short stories (Wake for Susan and A Drowning Incident) because my workshop paper proposal was accepted at a conference that U of M is hosting (yay, but totally scary at the same time.)


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

1 comment: