Wednesday, September 9, 2015

WWW Wednesday: September 9

 
IMG_1384-0
 
Each week, Sam over at Taking on a World of Words asks the following three questions: 
What are you currently reading? 
What did you recently finish reading? 
What do you think you’ll read next?

• What are you currently reading?
  • African American Literature 1850-1900: 
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: The Dutchman section of The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader and Blues People by LeRoi Jones
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 7-9 of Patricia Sullivan's Days of Hope
  • Women and Social Movements: Women in Antebellum Reform by Lori D. Ginzberg and journal articles 


Pleasure/Other Reads:
Had to hit pause on Marlon James's A Brief History of Seven Killings for now because so many things to read, so little time...but I started my GAship and they allow me to listen to audiobooks while I work, so coming up with a list of books to listen to after I finish listening to Piper Kerman's Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

What did you recently finish reading?

I recently finished the following books/pieces for my classes: 

  • African American Literature 1850-1900: I finished listening to A Narrative on the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs' Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: I finished reading the Black Magic section of The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 4-6 of Patricia Sullivan's Days of Hope
  • Women and Social Movements: journal articles

Pleasure/Other Reads:
I finished reading Beowulf...which I didn't understand at all...thank goodness for study aides! I also read CNF, Flash, Fiction, and Poetry submissions for the lit journals that I read for.

What do you think you’ll read next?

I'll be reading the following books/pieces for my classes: 
  • African American Literature 1850-1900: Anna J. Cooper's A Voice From the South
  • Amiri Baraka and the Black Arts Movement: The Autobiography of LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka section of The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • Civil Rights Movement: Chapters 1-4 of Michael K. Honey's Southern Labor and Black Civil Rights
  • Women and Social Movements: Faye E. Dudden's Fighting Chance: The Struggle over Woman Suffrage and Black Suffrage in Reconstruction America and journal articles

 Pleasure/Other Reads:
I'll also have more prose and poetry submissions to read. Not sure which audiobook I'll be listening to next. Whatever suits my fancy when I go searching again I suppose.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you like 'Orange is the New Black.' I've heard good things. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking it so far. I've never seen the show, so everything is new to me.

      Delete
  2. I am amazed each week by the sheer amount of information you read. It is astounding! "Orange is the New Black" is interesting, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I type these posts out each week, sometimes I can't believe I was able to read everything. It's crazy, but the mixture of reading and listening to audiobooks helps me a lot. I'm really liking OITNB so far. Since I've never seen the show, I'm being introduced to it all for the first time.

      Delete