Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Wishes I'd Ask The Book Genie To Grant Me

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: 10 Wishes I'd Ask The Book Genie To Grant Me

1. More time to read for pleasure: or maybe that should just me more time in general. Either way though, I would love to be able to read more things that are not assigned for class or to keep up with my duties at the journals that I help out at. Audiobooks absolutely help me and I'm happy for them, but...well...that leads me my next wish actually:

2. A device that I can use to listen to audiobooks all the time: I know that there are apps and things, but I don't own one. Between commuting to and from work and work and school and the fact that I can listen to audiobooks at work, it would be awesome to be able to listen to whatever whenever I have more than a couple of minutes. (P.S.: if I could have a device for this as well as an app for e-book reading, that would be boss.)

3. The money to pay for the pay audiobooks sites (like Audible, etc.): That would be rad because they have sooooo many more titles than I can find through the library.

4. The new volume of Blanche Weldon Cooke's Eleanor Roosevelt biography: the last one I have ends in 1938. Ken Burns's PBS documentary about the Roosevelts has done nothing but make me want to learn more about Eleanor.

5. A third book from Marilynne Robinson for the Gilead series: Gilead focuses on John Ames and Lila focuses on Lila. I would love to read a book based on the perspective on their son (maybe after reading his father's letters or learning about his mother's life???)

6. A BBC miniseries series for all of Jane Austen's books: technically, the book genie may not be able to help me with this, but maybe he'll know the book to movie adaptation genie who can make this happen. *fingers crossed*

7. A book from Dorothy Allison detailing Bone's life as a grown up: I fell in love with Bastard Out Of Carolina when I was younger and I've always wondered how life ended up for Bone (I also wondered this about To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout and Ellen Foster, but they now have sequels that have answered those questions)

8. Changing the labeling of books: I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. I hate labels like Chick Lit and Urban Fiction and things of that nature. What happened to the good ole days of straight up Fiction? Of course, I have no idea how I would classify titles (other than strictly by genre), but the way the system is now leaves a lot to be desired. A. Lot.

9. More independent book stores: don't get me wrong, I could chill in a Barnes and Noble all day long (and have...many times...and now that a lot of them have cafe's in them? I can do open to close no problem) but I wish I had a funky, indie bookstore to hang out at and find small press/micro press books that I won't find anywhere else. Bonus points if said indie bookstore has a funky little coffee shop inside or has things like book clubs, salons, etc. Extra special bonus points if it has all of the above.

10. A large, sturdy book shelf: you know...to hold all the wishes the book genie is nice enough to grant me (plus all the ones I already have).


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

1 comment:

  1. Interesting choices.
    My TTT:
    https://silvybooksaremylife.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/top-ten-tuesday-5/

    ReplyDelete