Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Halloween Themed Freebie

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Halloween Themed Freebie

*I've never been a big fan of horror books or things of that nature, so this week was a little difficult for me. So in addition to the ones that I've actually read, this list is also a compilation of stories set during Halloween or are scary reads (they have an * at the beginning) 
 
P.S.: most of these have a film adaptation for those who like to watch their scary instead of reading it

1. Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House: I actually had to read this one for Forms of Fiction. Reading it was difficult, but I found the audiobook and was able to listen to it instead. Totally different experience and I ended up loving it. Haven't seen the movie, but I've been told the newer one departs from the book a lot.

2. Stephen King's The Shining: okay...anything by Stephen King really other than On Writing (which is an awesome book. If you're a writer who hasn't read it, read it ASAP. It'll change your life)

*3. Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby

4. Bram Stoker's Dracula: We had to read this for Film and Prose Fiction...but I didn't end up reading this, but caught the Keanu Reeves version...so if you like to laugh instead of being scared, this adaptation is for you!

*5. Jay Anson's The Amityville Horror 

6. Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: we read this in middle school in the read while listening to the audio on cassette tape (I'm showing my age here, aren't I?) I remember more about the fact that this was the first time we had done something like this and I realized that listening and reading at the same time helped with my reading retention more than I do about the story itself. Sorry. Totally unrelated to the task at hand *focus Alana focus*

7. Anything by Edgar Allen Poe: we read Poe in middle school at around Halloween time and then went on a field trip where they adapted five one-act plays from Poe stories which I loved...one of the only ones who loved it, but I loved it.

*8. Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire 

9. Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper: not sure if this Halloweenesque, but it sure scared the crap out of me when I read it for the first time.

10. Henry James's The Turn of the Screw: this one was creepy to listen to...which was probably the point, but yeah. This may be the scariest thing I've ever read, not that that's saying much or anything.

 
Happy Halloween/Harvest Day everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

2 comments:

  1. I'm not into the horror genre either but I do love a good Poe story :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just rewatched The Shining yesterday! :)

    Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete