Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday Musings: W.I.P. (Thesis Project)



It's crazy to think that it's already time to start thinking about writing my thesis and forming a committee. In some ways, it feels like I just got here and I'm already preparing to leave. Some days, of course, I feel like I've lived every decade of my almost two years in the program (tis the life of a grad student I supposed). 

But while I'm supposed to be thinking ahead, I still have another year before I should even be thinking about writing my thesis. However, since I have post-grad plans, everything is being pushed up so I don't have every single thing piled up to do this time next year. That being said, it's good that I've just about plotted out the collection of short stories that I want to use for my project.

This is actually the third idea I've had for a thesis project: the first one was a story that I've been working on since I was fourteen and figured having to write it for graduation would finally give me the motivation to finish what I started. The second came from a short story I wrote in my Forms of Fiction class that I absolutely fell in love with, but had a hard time developing it into a full-length story.

Third time is the charm I guess because I know what I'm doing more or less for all ten of the stories. Some are more advanced than others because I had ideas for writing them as independent short stories before realizing that with a tweak here and there, they would fit into my concept.

I haven't actually started writing yet, but my project is inspired partially by August Wilson's American Century Cycle (I'll have ten short stories total, each taking place in a different decade in the 20th century) and If These Walls Could Talk (interconnectivity-wise...each story, while independent, will somehow tie into the others (I guess that would make them interdependent???) )

For the first time in a long while, I'm excited to be writing again and can't wait to get started. I'm not sure how it's all going to turn out yet, but I am happy to at least have some kind of game plan ready to go to make what will end up being a whirlwind third year a little less chaotic.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here.

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ Instagram LinkedIn Pinterest Twitter  

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment