Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Thanksgiving Themed Freebie

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Thanksgiving Themed Freebie (I'm doing Ten Bookish Things I'm Thankful For...because tis the season ;) )

1. Audiobooks: they're literally the only way that I've been able to keep up with pleasure reads with all of the books, articles, and essays I have to read for my classes.

2. A job that allows me to listen to audiobooks: when I work my full shift, I'm averaging one book a week, which is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Thankful for the time and chance to get out of the academia realm and escape to another world.

3. Overdrive and YouTube: my top 2 go-to places for audiobook listening. YouTube is just amazing on so many levels, but I love Overdrive because I can listen through my local library for free (perfect for me because to check out a physical audiobook costs money where I live). 

4. Sequels: Go Set A Watchman and Lila are my two favorite books of 2015 and they're both sequels. So glad that both were written. This leads me to...

5. Series: along the same lines as sequels, I have fallen in absolute love with entire series (Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove comes to mind, but there are others) I don't know about everyone else, but when I get invested in a story and its characters, I get in-ves-ted. I love getting more than one chance to enter their world.

5. Adaptations: some of my favorite movies (Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Godfather) were adapted from books or stories. Adaptations remain some of the only movies on my must-watch list.

6. Bus rides: I made the drive home once since moving here. Since then, I'm all about Greyhound. This averages an 8-10 hour ride home which gives me pppplllleeennnttttyyyy of time to read or listen to a book (for some reason, on a bus is the only time I can read on the road...not sure why) 

7. The Internet: specifically Facebook, Buzzfeed, and Twitter because I don't go a day without stumbling upon a link to an amazing story, post, or article. I learn so much every day just by liking different people and organizations and get to read some amazing work.

8. Lazy weekends: it's been a while, but every now and then when I have nothing going on for the weekend, there's nothing better than putting on some football, grabbing a book, and just chilling all day. I can't wait to not be so busy so I can experience it again. 

9. My friends: I've gotten lucky to make some amazing friendships with people who also love to read. I never go too long without getting a book rec from someone (which then gets added onto my ever-growing To-Read list)

10. My parents: Both were bookworms and my mom still is. As a kid, I always had more books than toys which was good because I could read all day, but would only play with a toy for a few minutes before I got bored. My parents didn't out and out instill much in me, but my love for reading came directly from them.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I never thought to use youtube for listening to audio books. Thanks for mentioning it. Will have to look up some books there. :)

    ReplyDelete