Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Debut Authors Who Have Me Looking Forward To Their Sophomore Novel

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Debut Authors Who Have Me Looking Forward To Their Sophomore Novel

*changing this one just a tad smidge bit and adding titles from authors that I've only read one book from but it's made me want to read more from them*

1.Jessmyn Ward: I had to read Salvage the Bones for AA Lit 1989-present and it's really made me want to read something else from her; I just haven't had the time to do so yet

2. Sylvia Plath: I've read The Bell Jar so many times, but I've never read her collections of poetry or her Unabridged Journals. I own the latter, but haven't read it yet.

3. Jimmy Carter: being the history geek I am, I especially love presidential history. Out of the ones we've had, Carter is one of my favorites for a multitude of reasons, but the only book I've read from his is A Remarkable Mother which is about Miss Lillian (who by the way, sounds like the coolest woman ever). It would be nice to read something more about him.

4. Patricia McCormick: I fell in love with Cut when I was in high school, but I haven't read anything else from McCormick. She has four more books to choose from, so they've been added to the (ever-growing) to-read list. 

5. John Green: Though I own Looking for Alaska (and have for quite some time) I've only ever read The Fault In Our Stars from him. I have a renewed love for YA/NA though, so I imagine that I'll be reading a lot from him in the not too distant future.

6. Zadie Smith: a friend just let me borrow White Teeth (thanks Claire!) and I already can't wait to see what she'll publish next.

7. Toni Morrison: I know I know, but I've only read Paradise so far. This one is especially bad considering I used to live with my mom who has every single one of her novels. I just never got the chance to read them.  

8. Alice Walker: I know I know (again). And I'm someone who heard about another book from her before I heard about The Color Purple. I've only read the latter though and have done so more than once...the first time when I was ten...which was...well, different for a multitude of reasons. Thankfully, I did read it again because there was so much I didn't understand the first time that I got during subsequent readings.

9. F. Scott Fitzgerald: Just got to The Great Gatsby a couple of years ago, but I need to go ahead and read more from him as my interest of literary movements in Interwar America continues to grow.

10. Jeffrey Eugenides: Loved The Virgin Suicides and its film adaptation, so it'll be cool to see what else Eugenides has written since then.


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

2 comments:

  1. I've also only read The Fault in Our Stars from Green, and though I've meant to pick up his other books, I've just never quite gotten around to it. I know they're all hugely popular but I'm not necessarily a "YA fan" so they've kind of fallen to the bottom of my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only really gotten into YA and NA in the last couple of years. Not a whole lot of time to read them with school and everything, but they may become my top audio book listening to candidates so I can start catching up.

      Delete