Thursday, December 24, 2015

My Dream Literary Collection #1


A few weeks ago, Ryan from Invaluable emailed me about creating a Dream Literary Collection post. Invaluable is an auction website with scores of antiques and collectibles, and perusing through all that they offer was so much fun..

Here's the first post (of what I'm hoping will become a regular series) talking about my Dream Literary Collection.


1. a signed copy of Lauren Bacall's Now:
 


I grew up watching movies of all kinds, but I especially loved watching movies on TCM. I grew up watching movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s and because of that, Lauren Bacall is one of my all-time favorite actresses. This book is already on my to-read list, but I would love to own this copy in particular and get the chance to learn more about one of my favorite actresses.



2. a signed copy of Joyce Carol Oates's Marya; A Life
  

Joyce Carol Oates is one of the authors that I've wanted to read more from, but haven't been able to yet since it's been really hard for me to fit reading for fun in with reading for school if I'm not able to find an audiobook version. However, I'm trying to change that (it's actually one of my 2016 Resolutions) and since what I've really liked what I have read from Oates, I think this would be a good addition to my collection. 



I fell in love with Edgar Allen Poe in sixth grade (ELA had a Halloween unit with Poe's stories making up a vast majority of what we read) and have enjoyed reading him ever since. This collection would be really cool to have and read from during Halloween (I try to read or listen to at least one of his stories during Halloween. I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I try to get into the spirit of things anyways.)


I'm a 20th century girl. Until this semester when I took African-American Literature 1850-1900, the only pre-20th century lit classes I took were two Shakespeare classes during undergrad. However, 1850-1900 sparked an interest in 19th century literature. I also want to start reading more poetry, and I've heard nothing but good things about Ralph Waldo Emerson and that period of literature. I figure this would be a good place to start and kill two birds with one stone. 


5. signed copy of Jack Kerouac in Amsterdam

Granted, this would only work out if this edition is in English (or I learn Dutch), but I've been wanting to read non-On The Road Kerouac for awhile to see what else he wrote before his death. 

 Bonus: 

Thinking about my Dream Literary Collection got me thinking about those closest to me and their literary collections. When I saw J.R.R. Tolkien's The Return Of The King, I immediately thought of my mom. I never got into The Lord Of The Rings, but she loves the series and I'm sure she'd love to add this to her collection: 



  ***all pictures taken from Invaluable.com***

***To see what other books they have to offer, click here***

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment