Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Dream Literary Collection: Post #2


Ryan from Invaluable emailed me about creating a Dream Literary Collection post. Invaluable is an auction website with scores of art and collectibles, and perusing through all that they offer was so much fun.

Here's my latest post talking about my Dream Literary Collection.


1. John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath

 

One of my biggest literary interests is American Lit from the Interwar Period (1919-1941), especially Depression-era fiction. This book absolutely fits right into those interests. It also fulfills my desire to read the books that I was supposed to read in high school but never did, so this would be a two-for-one pick up.

2. John Steinbeck's East of Eden

 

I've actually already seen the movie, but I've yet to read this book. I have a large reading gap in 1950s American Literature, and I think this would be a good book to start filling that gap with since I've heard some really good thing about it. 

   3. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community

 
                                                   
I've read Letter From Birmingham Jail and read and heard/seen the I Have A Dream and Mountaintop speeches. However, I've never actually read one of King's books before. I would absolutely love to learn how he felt about how the direction the U.S. was going by the late 60s and see if his philosophy and outlook changed any by then.


 4. Cormac McCarthy's The Border Trilogy



I was introduced to McCarthy last semester when I wrote a conference paper about his short stories. Learning that a lot of the same themes and style from the short stories are also seen in the novels makes me want to read them now (and then see the movie versions of the novels that have been adapted). 

 5. Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'urbervilles



I actually have a copy of this book already (though I haven't actually read it yet), but it's always nice to have some classics in the collection in its original form and binding. 



Bonus:
Charles Schultz's Peanuts


Thinking about my Dream Literary Collection got me thinking about those closest to me and their literary collections. I know a few people who love The Peanuts and would love this book. It would be hard to decide who I'd actually give this to though. Maybe those around me would be nice enough to share?



  ***all pictures taken from Invaluable.com***

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment