Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten All-Time Faves (so far)

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: it's a freebie week this week, so I went back and chose one of the previous topics that I missed out on. Here are my top ten all-time faves (I say so far because there could be books I read later on that could just blow me away) 
 

1. Anne Frank's The Diary of Anne Frank was my first love. I read it for the first time in elementary school and read it at least once a year until I graduated from high school. My best friend bought me a copy for my birthday one year after learning that I always checked a copy out from the library (thank Sami!) so now, I can finally read it whenever I get the inclination.

2. Alice Walker's The Color Purple: probably not the most appropriate read for a fifth grader, especially since it took a few more times reading it over the next several years to finally understand what all was happening, but I read this one while I was waiting for my next Baby-Sitters Little Sister books to come in the mail. I never really got to enjoy the YA trend (it really blew up here once I was already an adult), so The Color Purple was one of the books that served as a bridge from children's books to adult books.

3. Kaye Gibbons' Ellen Foster: I was a big Oprah fan, so once I found out she had a book club, I started regularly checking out books she had chosen. My favorite of the bunch was Ellen Foster and I really liked it since a young girl was the protagonist, but it didn't feel like I was reading a book written by children if that makes any sense. 

4. Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar: I discovered Sylvia and this book when I was in middle school and was just absolutely thunderstruck. Reading her for the first time was also the first time I ever got the feeling I wanted to do something like that one day too.

5. Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird: not just the first and only book that was assigned to me in high school that I actually read, this is one of the books that changed my life and the way I saw the world.

6. Joy Kogawa's Obasan: I also read this one in high school for AP English (we got to choose from a selection, so technically not assigned to me) and like TKAM, this book changed my life and the way I saw things. It was also one of the first times that I ever read an author or a character that was a minority that I got to read for school, so that was a really big deal for me.

7. Michael Cunningham's The Hours: I picked this book up to cram-read it before seeing the movie because I'm an uber Meryl Streep fan (especially back when the movie version came out). I ended up loooooovvvvvvviiiiiinnnnnggggg the book and that really served as my introduction to Virginia Woolf (other than Gilmore Girls of course)

8. Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway: reading The Hours and watching the movie finally inspired me to finish reading Mrs. Dalloway after trying to read it several times over several years. It took reading it for my Virginia Woolf seminar to truly appreciate it.

9. Debbie Macomber's 16 Lighthouse Road: it was hard to figure out which book from the Cedar Cove/Rose Harbor series to choose, so I went with my introduction to what may be my favorite series. I had read a lot from Debbie by then, but I had mainly read stand-alone books and shorter series until then.

10. Marilynne Robinson's Lila: I know it's early to add this book to my list, but I've also listened to it in its entirety four times in seven months. Lila and its predecessor Gilead have absolutely captivated me in a way that books haven't done so in years. What makes this funny is that Gilead was assigned to me in my Forms of Fiction class and I had to force myself to finally start reading it the night before class. I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.



Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh... I don't think I could possibly do 10 all-time favorites. Maybe 10 per genre ... maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very difficult, trust me. I just came with the first ten that came to my mind when I was thinking about faves. Figured they popped up for a reason.

    ReplyDelete