Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I've Recently Added To My TBR List

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Books I've Recently Added To My TBR List

1. Gloria Steinem's My Life On The Road: though I can't go so far as to label myself one thing or another, I've always liked Gloria Steinem and have wanted to learn more about her the person. After seeing her appearances on CSPAN2 and Watch What Happens Live!, I really want to read this book when I get the time.

2. Christopher Hitchens's And Yet...Essays: each month as a teenager, I would make sure to head to the Barnes and Nobel or Half Price to read Hitchens's latest piece in Vanity Fair and even got a subscription to it once I got to college just to read his column. His work never disappointed me and always made me think. I'm sure I'll be able to say the same about this collection.

3. Zadie Smith's White Teeth: a friend let me borrow this book and I know I said I was done letting friends recommend books to me after The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, but I made an exception for this.

4. Lynne Tillman's What Would Lynne Tillman Do?: speaking of friends letting me borrow books, the same goes for this one.

5. Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between The World And Me: I've just heard that this is a good book so I want to check it out. May hold off until the summer to actually read it so I can fully appreciate it.

The rest of the books I've added are series as part of this year's reading plan is to finish what I started by finishing the series that I started reading as a kid but forgot to pick back up over time. 


6. Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series: I only made it halfway through the second book, so I'll be starting this series from the beginning. 

7. Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon series: I actually didn't pick this up until seeing A Prairie Home Companion when I was eighteen and thought "how cool would it be if this was an actual radio show" Well, it is and I want to read the books that the show has inspired.

8. Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series: I was all about these books in the sixth grade and even did an English project about homesteaders and settlers. I even went as far as to not use electricity for twenty four hours during the winter to see how life was like during the late 1800s (my mom has since forgiven me for this...I think....) I made it through the first five before seventh grade (and my beginning to read books only written by authors who had attempted or committed suicide (I was a weird kid) ) but never made it through the last ones. 

9. Ann M. Martin's The Baby-Sitters Club series: I found out from a random Wikipedia search that there are like 100 more BSC books that I never got to when I was reading them. I would like to see how everything ended for the girls.

10. The American Girl series: back in my day, there were only five girls (Felicity, Addy, Samantha, Molly and then Josefina at the tail end of my reading it), so I want to read the new girls' stories. It's probably weird that I as an adult want to read books written for children, but I'm okay with that. A good book is a good book.

Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment