Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Historical Settings I Love

 

This week's Top Ten list from The Broke and the Bookish: Top Ten Historical Settings I Love

1. The American South during the Civil Rights Movement: since this time in history got glossed over during every history class until I made it college, I used fiction and nonfiction book written about and during this period to supplement my knowledge. Nowadays, I still love learning and reading about all things 1960s, so this remains one of my top picks.

2. America during The Great Depression: can't really pinpoint why I starting liking this decade so much, but I think reading Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation got me interested in learning more about the people who grew up during the 1930s and came of age during (or because of) World War II.

3. The 1920s: I listened to The Great Gatsby and started my Harlem Renaissance class within days of each other a couple of years ago. Ever since then, I have been fascinated by what I ended up calling the converging literary movements of Interwar America. In one decade, the Lost Generation and the Renaissance had their heydays. Still blows my mind thinking about it.

4. Turn of the 20th Century: this is all thanks to reading The Color Purple in 1999. As we were preparing for Y2K (remember that??? good times...), I started reading a lot of books and stories from or about the turn of the 20th century to see what all had changed in the past 100 years (and to see what all was still the same). Taking African American Literature 1850-1900 last semester reintroduced me to this time period, and I'm hoping to dedicate some of my pleasure reading to books from or about this time.

5. Vietnam War Era/Counterculture: I reckon I'm a hippie born in the wrong time in history because I have always loved the whole counterculture aura of the late 60s (music, the prospect of hitchhiking across country (or riding in a VW Bug) TV shows, etc. (well, everything except the prospect of missing out on bathing...I'm pro good personal hygiene, so that part may be tough) ). And living through the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq really made me interested in learning about those who fought in the Vietnam War.

6. World War II/The Greatest Generation: I think I've mentioned this before, but I wasn't really allowed out of the house during the summer when I was middle school. That meant all day by myself watching TV. While I watched plenty of TRL and reruns on TNT (ER, NYPD Blue, and Law and Order for the win!), I also watched copious amounts of The History Channel, especially the programs about World War II. That led to checking out a lot of books about this era from the library when I got to go.

7. Mid 1990s: may have missed out on the late 1960s, but I got to experience the 90s and am constantly nostalgic for all things 90s (mainly thanks to Buzzfeed posts). I think this was around the time that YA novels really started blowing up, but I missed out on the trend and like going back and reading what I missed out on. 

8. 1950s: I used to not like learning about this decade in my history classes or when I was watching documentaries, but will plow through so I could get to the 60s. However, I've found a new appreciation for the 50s over the past few years (not going to lie: Grease, Happy Days, and American Graffiti have helped with that a lot). The chaos of the 1960s wouldn't have happened without the 1950s laying the groundwork, so what used to bore me now interests me. 

9. Postbellum America: I haven't read a lot of fiction from this time period, but reading nonfiction about Reconstruction and the first few years of a reunited America are fascinating to me.

10. Present Day: I'm not sure what to call this era of literature, but some of the best things to read or listen to are things recently published. As my to-do list grows longer by the day, I want to make sure I balance the past and recently released to have a broad range of books to enjoy.  


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: 

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

2 comments:

  1. I love WWII based fiction too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/top-ten-tuesday-42/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your list. Some of them overlap with mine! :) I can't think of any suggestions right now, mostly because I'm in need of coffee in this particular moment but I can say - 1950s! I should have put that on my list! lol. ;) My TTT : http://birdbooksandcoffee.blogspot.com/2016/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-historical-settings.html

    ReplyDelete