Friday, December 28, 2012

My Take On...Celebrating Kwanzaa

I've been celebrating Kwanzaa on and off for several years now. It's an important holiday for me because it provides an opportunity to become more in tune with my cultural heritage.(You can read about my Kwanzaa-celebrating history here).

For 2013, I'm making it a goal of mine to involve the Nugzo Saba (the Seven Principles) into my daily life for the whole year instead of just during the week of Kwanzaa.


The Nugzo Saba (found here)

Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.

Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.

Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems, and to solve them together.

Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics): To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.

My idea: support local businesses owned by African Americans and other minority groups (12/28/12)
Nia (Purpose): To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.

My idea: continue with my education and look for ways to help other people start or continue theirs as well (12/28/12) 
 
Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.

My idea: to use my love for writing and the arts and learn to help others express themselves through a productive and constructive medium instead of a destructive one. I hope that by doing this, it'll get others off of the wrong path and keep them from traveling down that road again (12/28/12)
 
Imani (Faith): To believe with all our hearts in God, our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

I'll come back to this post to update it when I have ideas as to how I'll establish each principle into my regular routine and when I've been successful at doing so.This time next year, I'll write another post to see how successful I've been at keeping up with this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment