Saturday, November 9, 2013

One Week In

Yesterday marked one week since NaNoWriMo and Writer's Digest's PAD Chapbook Challenge began. It's the first time in years that I've written something everyday and I must say, it feels great. The more important thing is that I've made it a daily goal to take some time out to write. With it being something that I want to do with my life, it's amazing how many excuses I can make to not do so regularly. However, I know that I'll never make a go of this if I don't actually do it...profound, I know, but I've spent so many years being talked out and talking myself out of what I want to do that it's second nature to do so at this point. For better or worse, the words criticizing one of my desired career paths are ingrained so deeply in my psyche that I feel guilty wanting to do this sometimes.

But that's a different story for a different day....

Anywho.

Week one of NaNoWriMo: I've reached 17,000+ words of a rewrite, but I woke up on Wednesday to an idea for The Other Side that would cause me to rewrite the beginning of the rewrite that I've been working on this month. I'm going to take this weekend and explore that to see how it goes. I'm looking at a not-so busy week coming up so I can spend more time writing. I fully expect to reach 25,000 words by the 15th (if not sooner) and am still hopeful that I can make it to 50,000 by the 30th.

Week one of the PAD Chapbook Challenge: I'm amazed actually. It's been years since I wrote poems and only then because they were assigned. Writing poetry was a high school thing for me, but once I graduated and went to college, I graduated from poetry and started writing stories. For a long time, I wasn't able to write both. It was either one or the other and I preferred stories because I could write about others. With poetry, it was so focused on my feelings and my emotions that I never verbally share and after awhile, I got tired of sharing. Secrets must remain secrets for a reason I suppose.

But I'm eight poems into the challenge (will be writing my ninth as soon as I finish this post) and I've loved every minute of it. I guess I'm in a place in my life now where both genres can coincide in my life. I hope this feeling last for awhile.

Back to writing I go...


Thank you for taking the time to read my latest entry. Please feel free to follow and never miss another post by clicking here.

You can also email me by clicking here or follow me at  the following social media sites: Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Twitter   

Thanks again for reading 
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment